2.04.2007

The Influence of Fiction.

Here is a blog i wrote back in Feb but it looks like it was never published. I think I was gonna make it better. Oh well. PUBLISH POST.

Fiction has this incredible influence on the world around us. I'm currently knee deep in three different works that have inspired and irrevocably changed me.

The first is House of Leaves. I'm not going to into detail on the plot except to say it is about darkness. There is a story within a story within a story and I feel like I'm a part of it. I feel like I have to read it in the dark. This particular book has inspired one of my favorite bands and it has inspired me. I feel like including the themes and characters in my music with whatever band I end up in!

The second is The Prisoner. It is a television show from the late 60's. The main character is known only as No. 6. He was some kind of government agent that resigned from his post. He was then taken to The Village. They try to extract information from him and at the same time make him conform to the "sameness" of The Village. The whole idea of him fighting for his freedom and his own individuality give me this charge! "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

The third is The Bush Administration. As evidenced by the events of 1.31.2007 we live in constant fear. This fear is completely fictional. It is a tool used by those in power to stay in power. Vote for us or you will be bombed. There was a bomb scare over some "lite brite style" advertisements! The whole city of Boston was shut down.

No comments: